Media Information

 
 
 
Collection:
ADJUNCT MODULE C: WORLD ART
Preferred Title:
Milan Cathedral Museum: Collection of Stained Glass
Alternate Title:
La Sala degli antelli [The Window Room] of the Museo del Duomo di Milano
Image View:
New Testament apse window; Left, Deposition from the Cross, center, the Good Thief, right, the Bad Thief, all by Corrado Mochis (Conrad Mussche), ca. 1545-1569
Creator:
Corrado Mochis (German stained glass artist, 1525-1569); Cristoforo de' Mottis (Italian stained glass artist, active 1461-1485); Giuseppe Arcimboldi (Italian designer, ca. 1527-1593) and others
Location:
repository: Museo del Duomo di Milano (Milan, Lombardy, Italy)
Location Note:
Piazza del Duomo, 12
GPS:
45.463486 9.191617
Date:
ca. 1420-1570 (inclusive)
Cultural Context:
Italian
Style Period:
Fifteenth century; Sixteenth century
Work Type 1:
stained glass (visual work)
Classification:
Decorative Arts, Utilitarian Objects and Interior Design
Material:
stained glass
Technique:
stained glass
Relation Work:
formerly part of Milan Cathedral
Subjects:
cycles or series; decorative arts; New Testament; Old Testament and Apocrypha; saints; Restoration and conservation
Description:
The Cathedral Museum was opened in 1953 in a wing of the Palazzo Reale. The stained glass collection documents both the huge fifteenth and sixteenth century production of the various workshops of Lombard, French, German and Flemish master glass workers, and the nineteenth century revival and renewal of the art of stained glass by the Bertini family. All of the cathedral's stained glass was removed during World War II. Some new windows were commissioned after the war, along with major restoration. In thirty years (1962-1992), over 1700 sq. m of historiated stained glass windows, plus around 800 sq. m of decorated glass were restored. The museum retains these panels so that visitors can see them close up; they illustrate all the techniques from the 15th to the 20th centuries. (Source: Milan Cathedral [website]; https://www.duomomil ano.it/en)
Image Description:
The three monumental apse windows were completely rebuilt in the nineteenth century by Giovan Battista Bertini and some of the surviving glass (ca. 1414-1600) was moved to the museum.
Collection:
Archivision Adjunct Module C: World Art
Identifier:
7A2-I-M-MDD-SG-A18
Rights:
© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.

Milan Cathedral Museum: Collection of Stained Glass